COVID- 19 – The Most Dangerous Virus Ever Diagnosed
At the dawn of one fine day, one of the fastest growing economy of the world diagnosed a new kind of virus which changed the entire world’s economy and put a big question mark on the health care and medical research centres of the world. SARS-CoV02 (Severe acute syndrome coronavirus) has been the real cause of disease that emerged in China in 2019.The disease is named as Coronavirus.
Coronavirus is a family of viruses which can cause illness such as common cold, severe acute respiratory syndrome and Middles east respiratory syndrome (MERS).
Multiple numbers of cases are reported in all over the world. Even the most advanced and countries with excellent healthcare system are also not spared. World Health Organization has declared Coronavirus as global pandemic in March, 2020. U.S Centers for Disease Controls and Prevention and WHO is constantly trying to create awareness among people by spreading information and giving regular updates. They are constantly monitoring the situation in each country and suggesting the preventive measures and treatment.
How COVID-19 is spread?
The new Coronavirus is spreading from person to person who are in close contact. This is spread by respiratory droplets. It is spread while coughing and sneezing. Research also says that the virus can survive for multiple hours on surface and air.
Symptoms of COVID-19?
Coronavirus symptoms include coughing, fever and shortness of breath. It takes time to develop the symptoms and symptoms may appear after 14 days.
COVID-19- Prevention and Treatment
Many big pharmaceuticals companies are doing research and testing for developing vaccine for COVID-19. However till now there is no success and the research is on. Currently treatment is done by relieving symptoms.
Anything I can do for prevention?
Below preventions can be taken to avoid getting infected
- Avoid crowds and mass gathering
- Maintain distance from the person who is coughing, sneezing or have any other symptoms.
- Do not get indulged in any event or celebrations. Avoid close contact with anyone having symptoms
- Regularly wash your hands with soap for at least 20 seconds. Alcohol based hand sanitizer with alcohol content of more than 70% can also be used.
- Use Mask for covering your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze.
- Do not touch your eyes, nose and mouth with dirty hands. Always wash your hands with soap before touching.
Few more recommendations from WHO:
- Do not eat raw or undercooked meat or animal organs.
- Do not go to market where new cases of Coronavirus have been found. Avoid touching animals or surface in the Coronavirus affected areas
- In case you are suffering from any chronic disease please contact your doctor . Virus is more severe in patients with chronic disease
Can I travel cross border ?
It is always better to avoid travel. However if it is very urgent and travel cannot be postponed, please take precautionary measures like wearing mask and using sanitizers regularly for cleaning your hands. Also check the number of infected people in the travelling country to evaluate the risk involved in travelling.
What should I do if I am or may be sick with COVID-19?
The first and foremost important thing is to self quarantine and disconnects with outside world or contact with any of your friends or family members. Do wash your hands regularly and clean commonly touched surface. Use mask and avoid sharing your personal items with anyone.
If you are exposed to the virus that causes COVID-19:
- Contact your nearest hospital immediately if you develop any of the COVID-19 symptoms.
- Tell your doctor if you have any travel history or you are living in any community where COVID-19 cases have been found
- Tell your doctor if you know someone who has COVID-19 and you were in contact with that person.
- Give pre intimation to the hospital before visiting so that they can be well prepared to handle the case and make arrangements so that others are not exposed to virus
Following precautions need to be taken if your are diagnosed with COVID-19:
- Stay away from work, public places, markets or any crowded place till the time you get proper medical care
- Do not take public transportation. Private transportation must be sanitized after use.
- Use mask and isolate yourself. Do not touch your pet or any other family members.
- Do not share glasses, bed, dishes or any other household items
- If possible do not share bathroom
- Strict quarantine and self isolation is required. Take advice of doctors and act accordingly.
- Doctors will make arrangement for you to stay in hospital if you are too sick.